Re: Overwhelmed........

From: Michael R. Jinks (mjinksat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 11:07:26 PDT

    Mark Andrich wrote:

    > I just installed Snort on my IIS/Proxy server on Monday. On Tuesday I logged
    > 255 alerts for the unicode exploit. A check of the log file revealed that
    > our server was attacking another server out on the internet.

    You might want to double-check this, in particular check the domain of
    the destination host.  I get a false-positive IIS unicode attack in my
    snort logs every time somebody in my office goes to the "my netscape"
    web site.  Haven't tracked down yet why that is, would appreciate a note
    from anybody who knows what's really going on.

    If your box really is r00ted and attacking somebody then I'm sorry I
    posted this, and best of luck...

    --
    ~~~Michael Jinks, IB // Technical Entity // Saecos Corporation~~~~