Re: Overwhelmed........

From: Rune Kristian Viken (arcadeat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 02:24:06 PDT

    > I just installed Snort on my IIS/Proxy server on Monday. On Tuesday I
    > logged 255 alerts for the unicode exploit. A check of the log file
    > revealed that our server was attacking another server out on the
    > internet. I've done the following:

    I've had that too.  However, the attacks came from a machine I knew were
    not compromised, so I did a bit of digging.

    From spp_http_decode.c :
    ---
                            if(((temp == 192) || /* c0 */
                                (temp == 193) || /* c1 */
                                (temp == 224) || /* e0 */
                                (temp == 240) || /* f0 */
                                (temp == 248) || /* f8 */
                                (temp == 252)) &&/* fc */
                               check_iis_unicode)
                            {
                                snprintf(logMessage, sizeof(logMessage),
                                         MODNAME ": IIS Unicode attack
    detected");

                                /*(*AlertFunc)(p, logMessage);*/
                                CallAlertFuncs(p, logMessage, NULL);
                                CallLogFuncs(p, logMessage, NULL);
                            }
    ---

    I may be on thin ice here, but it turns out that some countryspecific
    characters are encoded that way. :-)  In particular, in my case, it
    happened that the norwegian character with the HTML repersentation
    ø (an "oe") has 8bit asciivalue of 248.

    So, every time someone submitted a query to a searchengine, submitting
    an email via web - or WHATEVER that contained an 'oe' -- snort
    triggered.

    .. I think.

    I'm not a good C programmer, so it may be some other things that has to
    happen before it triggers, but this is what I think it is. ;)

    --
    Rune Kristian Viken