Re: Threat mail from russia

From: Richard Forno (rfornoat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 12:15:34 PDT

    Not wanting to start a long thread, and I know Al will kill it if it becomes
    one, but this Russian note looks like a crock to me. I've seen similar
    things before.

    Providing "guidelines" for securing a system can be as easy. This guy is
    probably planning to strike it rich on some poor sap that responds to his
    note. It'd be like me asking for $5K USD and then telling you something
    brainless like recommending you not use Borgware OS products. Technically, I
    would have provided you guidance, but in reality, it's probably a scam. Pay
    me $10K USD to learn the secrets of avoiding automobile accidents.....my
    response (after money is deposted of course) might be "don't drive."  :)

    Plus, anyone purporting to be a legitimate business would never say they
    would help you "on the following conditions...." That's the sign of a novice
    or extortion letter. Make a mental note and move on to the next pressing
    issue of the day....

    FYI - a new marketing trick is for security/IT vendors to do a public query
    of your DNS records and then spam you with "we noticed you don't have
    alternate sites for your mail servers - we can help with that disaster
    recovery item if you like..." messages.

    Cheers,

    rf

    and tracking system please see: