bigred.com

From: Ray Beaulieu (rayat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 06:02:44 PDT

    	On two occasions, I've been approached by my executive team
    complaining whenever enter an invalid url, they are forwarded to
    www.bigred.com.  Sure enough, when I intentionally ping an invalid address,
    i.e. www.skdjfiwjefoisje.com  I get replies from 64.78.44.127. Plugging this
    addess into a browser,  redirects me to the bigred search engine with the
    following http://www.bigred.com/index.php?ref=roberts .  The HTML source on
    the redirecting page is follows;

    <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Error 404</TITLE></HEAD>
    <FRAMESET FRAMEBORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 BORDER=0 ROWS="20,*">
    <FRAME SRC="http://startpage.ms/error.php" NAME="AdBaer" MARGINWIDTH="4"
    MARGINHEIGHT="2" scrolling=no noresize BORDERCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
    <FRAME SRC="http://www.bigred.com/index.php3?ref=fourofor" NAME="OtherF"
    MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 scrolling=yes noresize BORDERCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
    <NOFRAMES><BODY><a
    href="http://www.bigred.com/index.php3?ref=fourofor">Click
    Here</a></BODY></NOFRAMES></FRAMESET></HTML>

    If I enter http://startpage.ms,  <form the 3rd line in the code>, I also get
    forwared to bigred.com.  I can easly fix this by flushing the cache on my
    DNS servers, <which are MS win2k sp1>. It goes away for a week or so.

    Here's the whois on startpage.ms

    # startpage.ms is registered
    Domain Name:               startpage.ms

    Object ID:                 star1016u
    Registered:                2001-03-13
    Expires:                   (undefined)
    Timestamp:                 20010411190029

    Registrant, Admin. Contact
      Matthew Roberts
      PO Box 1198, Voorhees, NJ 08043
      United States
      E-mail:                  robertsat_private
      Phone:                   (856) 804-3207
      Object ID:               matth987q

    Technical Contact, Billing Contact
      Register.com, Inc.
      575 8th Avenue, 11th Floor, New York, NY, 10018
      United States
      E-mail:                  aparkat_private
      Phone:                   212.594.9880
      Fax:                     212.594.9448
      Object ID:               xyz2824.ms

    Resource Records (2):
                               ns     ns1.zoneedit.com
                               ns     ns5.zoneedit.com

    Has anyone else seen this, and how the heck is he getting into my DNS cache
    so that invalid domian names forward to that address. The only service
    allowed to/from the dns servers through my firewall is UDP 53.

    -Ray

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com