Re: strange packets

From: Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooijat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 15:28:23 PDT

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Jason R. Seats wrote:

    > max wrote:
    > >
    > > 224.0.0.0-239.255.255.255 are multicast addresses. That machine is
    > > probably somehow misconfigured and is trying to talk to a multicast group,
    > > to be more precise, is trying to join a multicast group. Might be a
    > > software issue, if that machine is running something like cuseeme (or any
    > > other real time conferencing software) software, that could explain it.
    >
    > It is happening from every machine on the local subnet, with some
    > occasional traffic to other mcast ip's like:
    >
    > SVRLOC.MCAST.NET.427
    > SVRLOC-DA.MCAST.NET.427
    > MICROSOFT-DS.MCAST.NET.42

    Sounds like an open and shut case of Microsoft machines blurting their
    packets all over town.

    > also,
    > IGMP to 224.0.0.2

    This is mostly seen with RIP.

    None of these should in itself be a problem. However if every workstation
    starts to yell this all over the network you may find that a switched
    network is taking a significant hit.

    It seems that every generation of windows is sending out more broadcasts
    then the previous ones. Sounds like a lot of fun.

    Hugo.

    --
    All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
        hvdkooijat_private		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com