Re: Synscan on port 2223

From: Daniel Martin (dtmartin24at_private)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 14:42:42 PDT

    "Fernando Cardoso" <fernando.cardosoat_private> writes:

    > I've just noticed in my logs a scan from someone in Colombia to port 2223.
    > It was clearly made with synscan (source port=destination port, ID=39426 and
    > Window=404). What makes me think is the purpose of it. What (s)he's looking
    > for? According to my port database it could be:

    I saw this too.  Whatever they were looking for, if you sent a syn
    packet back to them on port 2223 (e.g. by doing "telnet
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 2223"), then they would respond with a regular TCP
    connection to the port, and wait for something.

    I don't know what they were waiting for, since any data I sent just
    resulted in the other side closing the connection.

    So it's definitely synscan-like behavior, but I don't know what
    exploit has been attached to that port.

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com