RE: Printer exploit?

From: John Hanks (jbhat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 18:56:25 PDT

    We have seen this on our campus. It corresponds well to portscans on port
    515, when we get scanned we get the printouts with a page with some text
    (which I don't have handy, sorry) followed by lots of pages with "U" and "1"
    on them. My guess at this point is that people are probing for an
    exploitable LPD and a side effect is that some HP printers start coughing up
    garbage. It could be a DOS attack against printers, but it always coincides
    with someone doing a portscan of port 515 on our network so I think it is a
    side effect. We blocked port 515 at the firewall and saw a big drop in
    outgoing traffic, so my other guess is that we were maybe being used in DOS
    attacks by whatever this exploits. Unfortunately I don't have a packet trace
    of the attack, just a bunch of snort portscan.log entries and since we
    blocked 515, I won't be able to collect any packets.

    jbh