Re: Strange broadcasts to printer port

From: Dan Riley (dsrat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 08:21:17 PDT

    > I have been seeing syn packets from src 255.255.255.255:31337 to
    > random ip-numbers port 515 in our nets for months.  Does anyone kow
    > what could cause this?

    We've also been seeing these with real IP src addresses, as well
    as 255.255.255.255.  The best speculation I've heard is that it
    is an exploit scanning for LPR/LPRng holes, and the ones from
    the broadcast address are from unconfigured but live interfaces
    on (most likely) Linux boxes.
    --
    Dan Riley                                         dsrat_private
    Wilson Lab, Cornell University      <URL:http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~dsr/>

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com