DDoS pointed at dsli.com / 209.203.214.{10,40} ?

From: Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt (glrattat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 09:24:32 PDT

    We were portscanned for open telnets by host 209.44.98.181 a week ago
    (or by someoning masquerading as same). Following our SOP, we sent
    a nasty note and blocked traffic from their /24.

    Ever since, however, we've noted our nameservers trying like hell to
    resolve 'user181.209.44.98.dsli.com' in the DNS; some investigation
    via ethereal showed that numerous hosts in our network were making
    these repetitive requests. The nameservers for dsli.com, 209.203.214.{10,40},
    are either completely swamped or turned off in self-defense.

    Is this a known DDoS? Is there a known technique that I've completely
    missed? I either have a network full of nodes responding to some
    traffic I'm not seeing, or I have a network full of zombies of (so far)
    many different UNIX variants.

    Any info gratefully received,

    	-g

    --
    Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt         The Lab Ratt (not briggs :-)
    glrattat_private                        http://www.io.com/~glratt

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com