Why would someone DoS a free-lance writer?

From: Sara Brigid Gaffney (irishelfat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 09:44:32 PDT

    I had my packet sniffer running on this solitary Windows PC but I
    wasn't on the net.  Suddenly I noticed I was getting hit multiple
    times a second.  They were coming from a range of sources but
    targeted one port, 6346.

    I set my personal firewall to deny both UDP/TCP in both directions.
    That didn't stop the probing nor did I get the usual alert from my
    firewall???   I ran several of the IP addresses through my NeoTrace.
    They came from mostly Australia, California, Washington and Canada.
    Some had references such as home.net and pacbell; others indicated no
    information available as to IP name, contact.

    Everyone I checked indicated header length of 20 and data length of
    48.  This went on for maybe an hour while I tried to figure what was
    happening.  I ended up closing my connection and then re-booting the
    PC.  I haven't had another incident since (30 minutes ago).

    Does anyone have the faintest idea what could be going on here?  I
    had scanned with my Ad-a-ware - this wasn't from any kind of spyware.

    Sorry, I'm fairly new to this packet sniffing so I'm not sure what
    info you need or if this question is acceptable for this list.   For
    all I know, this is not unusual, still it seems weird. This computer
    is not located at a business address.  I'm a writer.  I've been
    hacked before, etc.

    Thanks much for any help.

    Sara
    ~~~~
    "One must still have chaos in oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."  Nietzsche

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com