Re: Denial of service attack on port 6667

From: John Marquart (jomarquaat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 11:38:33 PDT

    I am surprised not to have seen more traffic about this.  apparently
    yesterday and today EFnet has been nearly completely DoS'd from the
    network - causing many of their main servers to de-link.   I do not know
    many details  - I know that they are working w/ the law/other ISPs to try
    to solve the problem (Have been contacted about traffic which turned out
    to be an eggdrop bot).

    If anyone know more  - I know that the EFnet support staff would love to
    know more concretely where the attacks are coming from / help w/
    resolution.

    If you are not linked into efnet - I am not sure why you would be
    experiencing these attacks - unless someone out thre has a bone w/ all IRC
    nets.  If you are a source - yikes!

    -john

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com