Re: SMTP server (How can I find out the real source of an attack)

From: kath (kathat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 17:47:04 PDT

    Well, I would say, check the version of all daemons you have, starting with
    your SMTP server daemon itself.  Look to see if there were any security
    patches issued that you may have not applied.

    If you have a RO reference, run tripwire to check for altered system files.

    You might also want to sniff packets with tcpdump and see if anyone else is
    receiving the same treatment as Host_A.

    Or maybe run a packet sniffer and look at what is in the packets.

    - k