Packets destined for ports 6970 and 6972

From: Elliott Perrin (eperrinat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 08:19:38 PDT

    For the past two days I have seen connection attempts to my firewall to
    UDP ports 6970 and 6972 in the order of about 3500 attempts from
    each of about 10 different IP's.

    Here is a quick snip.... (note I log in vain hence the reason these show up in my
    messages)

    Jul 18 10:00:06 fw1 /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6970 from
    63.228.31.233:6972
    Jul 18 10:00:06 fw1 /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6970 from
    63.228.31.233:6972
    Jul 18 10:00:06 fw1 /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6972 from
    63.228.31.233:6972
    Jul 18 10:00:06 fw1 last message repeated 13 times

    Today's messages log which started at Midnight is already at 35,000 lines
    with the same as above only from different hosts. There are no services
    running on my firewall, all servers run in a DMZ.

    Just wondering if anyone else has seen this activity and has an idea about
    what it may be, if this is a new attack or worm in the wild. My box is running
    FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE and IPFILTER.

    Cheers,
    Elliott Perrin
    Senior Systems Administrator