Re: CRv2 - Questions

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:42:58 PDT

    "The Death" <thedeadhat_private> wrote:

    > 1) Is it known if the CRv2 worm will function like CRv1, in the matter of
    > c:\noworm ? If so, then systems who were once infected (with the CRv1 worm)
    > will actually not go trough step 7 (attacking www.whitehouse.gov)

    "CRv2" *is* identical to "CRv1" except in that it has an effective
    random network address generator and it does not intercept page
    serving and return "defaced" pages.  (And note that the defaced page
    serving, like everything else in this worm, is done entirely from
    running code.  I've seen many well-meaning descriptions of cleaning
    it up that end with something to the effect of "search for and
    replace any defaced web pages" -- well, that's a waste of time if the
    only thing that could have "defaced" your server was Code Red,
    because there are no defaced web page files.)

    > 2) Is it known for the destenation of attack used by the CRv2 worm? Is it
    > still trying to attack the blocked IP as CRv1 ?

    "CRv2" is identical to "CRv1" except...

    It "attacks" the same IP in the same way at the same time for the
    same duration.

    > 3) What, do you think, caused the 'black hat' who made CRv1 to release CRv2?

    Do you know it was the same person?  Perhaps you should be talking to
    the authorities...

    > It isn't too smart to send CRv1 to "check the ground", as CRv1 brought alot
    > of awareness to the bug exploited, therefore CRv2 will have much less hosts
    > to exploit. Might it be that the 'black-hat' was not aware of the short
    > period of the PRNG he designed?

    The evidence is that "CRv1" did *not* significantly reduce the
    potential host-base for this exploit.  It was CRv2 that "took off" on
    (US) Thursday.  If you think about the way CRv1 works, with every
    instance trying to hit the same sequence of machines, CRv1 *must*
    spread slowly because the first machine hit will "lead the pack" with
    all its offspring simply following in its footsteps.  Unless one of
    its early hits is a much more powerful machine or has much more
    bandwidth to exploit, the first victim will lead the way and the
    others will just keep following.  If that initial victim is stopped
    for whatever reason ("unexplainable" performance degradation causing
    a frustrated (and largely clueless) admin to reboot it being the most
    likely cause), the instance most closely at that first victims heels
    will take over the lead, with a growing pack following it.  It was
    this observation and the sudden explosive growth of Code Red on
    Thursday that tipped various people off that something new was
    happening.  You should check Stuart Sandiford's modelling of various
    Code Red attack reports (posted to incidents.org and the incidents
    list on Friday) to get more of an idea of these issues.

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.