IPP (631/tcp) Scans

From: Crist Clark (crist.clarkat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 17:25:58 PDT

    OK, what's up with all of the attention on port 631/tcp from the k1dd33z?
    We've seen an increase from zero to a couple of scans (walks across several
    class C nets) per day,

      Jul01   0
      Jul02   0
      Jul03   0
      ..
      Jul14   0
      Jul15   0
      Jul16   1
      Jul17   2
      Jul18   3
      Jul19   3
      Jul20   2
      Jul21   1
      Jul22   1
      Jul23   3

    I don't recall any new problems with port 631/tcp. One of the IIS issues
    was print related, but I thought it was expoited via an HTTP (80/tcp)
    interface to the IPP services, not via 631/tcp. Some kiddies have a 0-day?
    Or is one of those things where someone starts looking for some ancient
    hole (e.g. occasional flurries of activity looking for old POP exploits)?
    --
    Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
    crist.clarkat_private                    Globalstar, L.P.

    The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
    intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If
    the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee
    or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
    hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying
    of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
    e-mail in error, please contact postmasterat_private