Honeynet Project -> Know Your Enemy: Statistics

From: Lance Spitzner (lanceat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 18:57:16 PDT

    The Honeynet Project is excited to announce the release of a
    new paper, "Know Your Enemy: Statistics".  The paper is based
    on eleven months of data we have collected, and covers
    two areas.

    1.  Aggressiveness
    ------------------
    We show a variety of statistics, based on eleven months of
    Honeynet data,  that demonstrate just how aggressive the
    blackhat community can be.  Even more revealing is it appears
    the threat is getting worse.

    2.  Early Warning and Prediction
    --------------------------------
    We present proof of concept that attacks can be predicted.
    The research is still preliminary, but based on statistical
    analysis, 7 out of 8 attacks could be predicted last year.
    Two different team members took two different statistical
    approaches, yet they findings were almost identical.  Most
    of the attacks made against the Honeynet could be predicted
    two to three days in advance.

    As this research is part of the Honeynet Project, all eleven
    months of data are also publicly released for review and
    further analysis.

      Know Your Enemy: Statistics
      http://project.honeynet.org/papers/stats/

    Thanks!