Re: Network attack from S1 Corporation

From: Kelvin (kelvinat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 16:54:39 PDT

    Wow, was that a lot of email...

    To answer as many questions as I can;

    If you remember the articles posted on sec33.com about Internet Banking and
    such then you get a little clearer picture of what has been going on. The
    articles stirred up a little bee's next in one particular vendor (S1) and
    since those articles were posted I began to get quite a bit of attention
    from them. I have ignored most of the malicious traffic until lately.

    The emails were sent to: securityat_private ; securityat_private | The email
    addresses were confirmed before sending, as well as a hidden <image> was
    placed in the body of the message. The image was picked up from my webserver
    several times, for the two addresses that it was sent to, the images were
    requested 5 times, so either they opened the message several times or
    forwarded it.

    I don't plan on attacking them back as some people have asked, I would just
    assume that they understand that they can't do this.

    Just since the posting of the log file information, the domain admin for
    sec33.com received an email from the S1 Corporation stating that they would
    investigate the issue.

    It's obvious that they were blowing it off until it went public, then they
    responded. But I have not heard anything since. It is possible that it is
    just 1 person is doing it alone and others in the company are not aware, or
    there has been a compromised machine(un-likely). But if that were the case,
    I would have thought they would have acted after the first notification.

    Almost forgot. No, I did not call.

    Outline:

    [Several weeks of spidering of sec33]
    [Small DoS attacks on sec33]
    [Email requesting the cease of scanning sent to S1] -> No response
    [Re-directed their sec33.com HTTP requests to http://www.whitehouse.com]
    [They got angry and attacked sec33.com]
    [I drafted the email with the log information and made it public]
    [Received email from S1 - investigating the issue]
    [Different IP's are now continuously refreshing sec33.com]

    <grin> And if it is any of ya'll messin with me after you read the email...
    Damn You! <grin>

    Thanks for all of the responses. - I swear next time I will think of every
    conceivable question before posting.

    ./Kelvin