Re: Large ISP response to Code Red?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 19:36:15 PDT

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:54:43 PDT, Seth Arnold <sarnoldat_private>  said:
    > [1] they put an awful lot of effort into copyprotection .. how about
    > 'forced upgrade protection', that disables internet connections when
    > computers are unpatched for 14 days after release of a patch? Or how
    > about machines that automatically apply patches? Or email administrators
    > every time a patch is released?

    That's called 'The Evil of UCITA', and will certainly result in lawsuits filed
    at 9:01AM the first business day after a software vendor mistakenly disables
    a software package remotely and hoses somebody's business.

    Hint - I have a machine at home that's not ON the net very often (or at
    least not visibly).  What should happen the first time it reconnects and
    finds that there's a 25M patchfile that's 17 days old?  Should it then
    try to download it at the 5KB/sec my modem line achieves?  What happens if
    I lose my connection during this multi-hour download, and what happens
    to whatever I'm *TRYING* to do while this download is in progress?

    Let's not go there, OK? ;)

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Operating Systems Analyst