Re: The sky is falling, or so I am told.

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 13:58:10 PDT

    Pluto <plutoat_private> wrote:

    >   has someone tried to change the date on an infected system to see if he
    > realy starts again?

    Indeed, people have done this, but there are gotchas because of the
    various *different* sleep states that threads go into in different
    parts of the code.  Unwary "testing" of this kind can easily lead to
    the wrong answer, as it alreay has for several high-profile security
    experts and I'm sure is at least part of the cause for why some
    experts say "the worm can wake up -- we have seen it in the lab" and
    why other experts are saying "in-depth code analysis *and* our tests
    show the worm does not re-awaken 'naturally'".

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.