Re: Code Red, anyone?

From: Joseph Nicholas Yarbrough (nyarbroughat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 02:43:07 PDT

    On Tuesday 31 July 2001 21:31, Alfred Huger wrote:
    > Anyone seeing Code Red activity yet?

    When I came in tonight at 1 am I was told that there was no code red activity
    seen all night. Now (5:14EDT) I'm seeing dozens of connects per minute. If it
    grows at the rate it had previously, we are possibly looking at an another
    serious problem. Since the end of the last batch of scanning, I'm sure many
    infected hosts were rebooted because of crashing or some other reason
    (installing software/changing IPs/etc). After reboot they are no longer
    infected (because the virus wasn't spreading). Now that these systems, and
    possibly others that weren't infected the first time around, are getting
    infected and starting to scan. Chances are, anyone who hasn't applied the
    patch by now isn't going to. As another list went over, some vendors won't
    support thier product if you apply patches to the system that are not from
    them (I believe it was some web-banking software on IIS that was specifically
    mentioned). I don't take a dooms day attitute with Code Red, but it's clear
    it's going to continue to create problems to some degree.

    My company monitors many class C and B networks' firewall logs/IDS/network
    appliance reports/etc. We only monitor a tiny chunk of the internet as a
    whole. However, if I see this just on our clients' networks then the rest of
    the world has to be seeing it.

    Remember, it took several days last time before it got big. This time there
    are less systems for it to infect, but it has a bigger base number from which
    to spread. Without hard numbers, it's impossible to come up with even a guess
    at what the spread rate will be. Lets hope all the organizations who repost
    advisories as if they had anything to do with the discovery actually got
    threw to some people.

    Remember, the problem is people who have to hear about available patches to
    serious security problems on thier local news. Perhaps if major news networks
    and the AP would run a story on system/network admins that don't subscribe to
    security mailing lists we wouldn't have had such a problem.

    No flames were intended in this message. Don't misinterpret it that way and
    counterflame.

    --

    Joseph Nicholas Yarbrough
    Information Security Analyst

    ***NOTE***
    These words and thoughts are my own, not my companies.