explanation (fwd)

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 09:35:13 PDT

    VP Engineering
    SecurityFocus.com
    "Vae Victis"

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:31:30 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Ken Eichman <keichmanat_private>
    To: handlerat_private, jullrichat_private, certat_private, certat_private,
         marcat_private, vickiat_private, nipc.watchat_private, alanpallerat_private,
         ahat_private
    Cc: keichmanat_private, krichardsonat_private
    Subject: explanation

    Okay just to explain where I'm getting the numbers.  Like last
    go-around, I'm recording tcp header info for all inbound traffic to our
    class-b address space on our IDS.  Thowing out our 'valid' http traffic
    I'm left with the bogus.  It could be superfluous misinformation thrown
    in to the http traffic to skew/hide/whatever; HEADS, GET x, whatever.
    We have 25 internet-accessible web servers; I quickly checked most and
    do not see any increase in that type of traffic to any of them.

    Backing up the header data, I'm getting packet data captures from snort
    on the IDS when a code red probe targets specific addresses.  I cannot
    do that for every single bogus http probe because most of them target
    non-existant/unpopulated IP addresses.

    As of 12:00 EDT I've logged 331582 "bogus http requests", up from 648
    yesterday, and I've logged 101 confirmed code red probes, up from zero
    the previous week.

    Just to be clear there are some assumptions that could be made either way
    with these numbers.

    Ken Eichman                  Senior Security Engineer
    Chemical Abstracts Service   Tel:   (614) 447-3838 ext 3230
    2540 Olentangy River Road    Fax:   (614) 447-3855
    Columbus, OH 43210           Email: keichmanat_private