RE: Increasing Port 137 Scan rate

From: Jonathan A. Zdziarski (jonathanat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 11:44:48 PDT

    Here's where I'm at with the whole netbios thing.  I called one ISP in
    canada to inquire as to why I was seeing a bunch of these from their
    network.  They told me that netbios name queries occur when some winders
    based browsers hit a website, to determine if a particular name is in use
    before the client uses it (?) .  I had never heard this happening before, it
    was suggested to me that US networks may be filtering netbios out, and so if
    all this is true, I am receiving them all from outside of the US most likely
    due to the increased amount of web traffic on the 'net lately.

    Haven't got a single one from inside the US consequently, but I may just be
    lucky.