RE: Code red probe followed by udp port 10x

From: Michael Tucker (mtuckerat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 13:40:23 PDT

    I offer three theoretical explanations for the observed increase in bogus
    activity:

    1) The original attackers (or some copycats inspired by them), seeing the
    success of Code Red, are pressing the attack using a variety of methods.

    2) All this media hype has inspired every bored kid who's still on summer
    break to see what they can hack into before they have to go back to school.

    3) We (sysadmins) are being much more observant than usual, due to our
    concerns about Code Red. The paradox of Schrodinger's Cat applies: (our
    perception of) the data has been affected by our observation.

    I'm voting for 4) All the above. :-)

    Yours,
    Michael
    -----
    Michael C. Tucker           |  Java Developer
    Energy Graphics, Inc.       |  Software Engineer
    mtuckerat_private  |  Sun Certified System Engineer

    It's the action, not the fruit of the action that's important.  You have
    to do the right thing...  You may never know what results come from your
    action.  But if you do nothing, there will be no result.  (Gandhi)