Code Red III - increased ARPing on shared segment broadband

From: Chad Loder (cloderat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 12:46:32 PDT

    I posted this to Bugtraq last night but it
    got rejected. :P

    Anyways, if cable modem users are seeing
    drastically increased ARPing, the targeting
    of the Code Red III variant should explain
    it -- hitting non-existent addresses on your
    subnet will cause the CMTS<->headend router to
    ARP out to see who's got that address, you get
    the picture.

    At the very least, it's a good opportunity for
    users to see how many modems your provider has
    packed onto your segment. If they've packed too
    many on there, you can be sure the CMTS router's
    going to get seriously bogged down.

    I have an automated program which sends the IP
    addresses to the ARIS list *and* to my ISP's
    security department (those IP's which fall under
    their management) -- I wonder if ISP's are
    considering just dropping all packets from
    infected hosts, so when the customer comes to
    them and complains, they say "Oh, you're infected,
    reboot, install the patch, and we'll reconnect
    you."  Seems that this would reduce the load
    on the CMTS and would be faster than trying to
    track down each customer individually.

      Chad Loder
      Rapid 7, Inc. - Next generation security products and services
      http://www.rapid7.com