What use is the NIPC?

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 17:07:13 PDT

    This latest worm incident has left me wondering of what real use is
    the NIPC. The certainly do not appear to be a rapid reaction force,
    never mind that their web page defines them as providing "timely warnings
    of international threats, comprehensive analysis and law enforcement
    investigation and response".

    Yesterday, I contacted the NIPC, informed them to the fact that a new
    worm was on the loose, explained that it left behind a backdoor, that
    I had a binary of it they were welcomed to have for analysis, and that
    we would be happy to assist them in any way. The nice person I talked to
    on the phone took down all of this and my information.

    I've yet to hear from the NIPC. Not a problem. I am probably not the
    only person to report the worm. They are probably busy with their
    own analysis. But it is surprising that they have yet to put out
    an alert.

    I guess national infrastructure guards don't work on weekends.

    CERT seems rather quiet on the topic as well.

    --
    Elias Levy
    SecurityFocus.com