Re: Want to write a disinfection tool?

From: L. Christopher Paul (lcpat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 19:24:11 PDT

    One question ... Mighten this lead to a false sense of security?

    With the CRv1 or CRv2 I can see this as being appropriate, but with CRII
    creating backdoors and then broadcasting the vulnerability, the incidence
    of compromises beyond the initial worm infestation is incredibly high.

    By automating a 'fix', and not rebuilding the box, there is no guarantee
    that the box is safe to be re-connected to the network; only that the worm
    is gone and that it can't be re-infected.

    If such a tool is built (which isn't all bad), it needs to be shipped with
    a big 'ole warning to that effect.

    --lcp