Re: CR vs. CoreBuilder

From: randy (randy@eccs-com.net)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 20:46:24 PDT

    On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, terry white wrote:

    > on "8-5-2001" "John Nemeth" writ:
    >
    > :      I have a 3Com CoreBuilder 3500 running software version 2.1.0 that
    > : has been falling over a lot over the last few days.
    >
    > : NOTE:  I don't have any proof that it is CodeRed that is causing the
    > : CoreBuilder to fall over, but it is highly likely.
    >
    > ... i've noticed a similar problem with a cisco 675 ADSL router.  in
    > particular, i've had to do a cold boot three (3) times 'since' the CR-II
    > attack started.  i had disabled the web command interface, and checking
    > revealed that still the case.
    >
    >     what i did however, was to assign a port other than the default
    > (sorry) of '80'.  the device has been up 21 hours, despite an order of
    > magnitude greater CR-II attempts.  my server is not published, but in the
    > last 5 days, i've seen 22, 25, 25, 47, and 60 (so far today:  ~16:00 PDT)
    > events ...

    I have a very similar problem as well.  I have a Cisco 675 and it has been
    crashing all weekened.  I was running CBOS 2.20 and recently upgraded to
    2.4.2 but it failed again after the upgrade.  I have hit seven power
    cycles this weekend alone.  I have also changed the port number to see if
    it makes any difference.  It is a great suggestion.  I tried a simple
    telnet to the router and noticed that even with the web interface disabled
    it still responds at the lower level.  What I mean is that if the port
    number is set to 80 and I do a "telnet routeraddress 80" I get back a

    Connected to routeraddress.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    But if I move the port the web interface is set to then the response on
    port 80 is different.  It will just time out with no response at all.

    A note on the CBOS versions.  When the unit crashed with 2.2.0 it would
    not respond at all on the serial interface.  With 2.4.2 it will respond
    with a debug prompt "=>".

    Randy