Re: CRv2 multiple scans from same source IP

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 20:23:00 PDT

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2001 20:39:14 EDT, John Davidson <jwd_odsat_private>  said:

    > The IP is outside my Class A address space. From the analysis of CRv2
    > published at www.eeye.com this should not be possible, or at least the
    > likelihood of such an occurence is much greater than winning a very big
    > lottery... I should maybe buy a ticket! ;-).

    The odds of winning a large lottery are usually on the order of 1 per million.

    A million tickets sold is a *lot*.  A million probes is *nothing*.  Figure out
    how many scans/second 10,000 hosts with CodeRedII (which has 300-600 non-blocking
    threads) will produce...

    At that rate, you dont NEED a very high chance of popping into a new /8 or /16. ;)
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Operating Systems Analyst