RE: Worm Attack Rate

From: Miles Sabin (msabinat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 04:26:15 PDT

    aleph1at_private wrote,
    > This worm display locality. Its more likely to attack machines near
    > itself in the IP address space. Since the IP address space is mostly
    > sparse with machines bunched in some areas this is a more effective
    > method of finding other vulnerable machines that uniformly and
    > randomly selecting IP address across all of the IP address space,
    > the method used by the original worm and its variant.

    I think there might be another angle on locality which might explain
    the rate of compromise. Intuitively it seems quite likely that
    _vulnerable_ machines will be clustered together, for a couple of
    reasons,

    * On networks with an IIS host, it's quite likely that any other
      HTTP servers will also be IIS.

    * On networks with an unpatched IIS host, it's quite likely that any
      other IIS instances will also be unpatched.

    both on the assumption that networks will be fairly uniform, both in
    terms of the software their hosts are running, and in terms of local
    security practices.

    Cheers,

    Miles

    --
    Miles Sabin                                     InterX
    Internet Systems Architect                      27 Great West Road