Re: Scanning Customers.

From: Vachon, Scott (Scott.Vachonat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 05:39:35 PDT

    >Recently we have been scanning our clients for Code Red vulnrability, as
    >well as other performance and latency scans. This has caused a flood of
    >angry customers forwarding their personal firewall logs to us, demanding
    >that the attacks on their computers be stopped. I assume I am not the only
    >one dealing with this problem. Does anyone have a nice canned response, or
    >links with information on port scanning and the legalities I can use for

    One has to wonder why you didn't send an e-mail notification to your
    customers prior
    to scanning. Then they could have been prepared for the event to show up and
    could have saved the manpower hours they wasted in researching the cause of
    the scan. You probably would have saved yourselves at least some of the
    grief.

    ~S~

    Disclaimer: My own two cents...