Re: more Code Red analysis

From: Ralph Mellor (ralphat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 12:42:00 PDT

    Great analysis.

    > ... Too many users are connected". ... This prevents people
    > from exploiting the /scripts/root.exe backdoor

    Which would suggest that black hats would have been hampered
    in any attempts to remodel. (By remodel I mean to invisibly remove
    the known backdoor and replace it with a new one.)

    > I think this will become an important algorithm for future worms.

    Regularity and locality of ip allocation is a godsend to worm writers
    regarding both public and private ip spaces. For example, as I
    posted to a local linux user group yesterday:

        Use 10.x.x.x even for small private nets?
        .
        .
        4. It's reasonable to surmise that many future worms will adopt
        this local bias philosophy.
        .
        .
        So, my tentative (but remember clueless) conclusion, is that,
        even on tiny private nets, it would probably be smart to use
        as sparse an ip space as possible, right?

    > the Morris Worm injected the community with a lot of knowledge
    > about worms. ... When the next IIS exploit is announced, we've got
    > two weeks to patch a million systems before that next worm takes
    > down the Internet.

    I disagree with the 2 weeks and the take down the Internet.

    Neither Code Red nor Code Red II took down the Internet.
    It could clearly happen, but one can't absolutely know.

    As for the 2 weeks:

    > There is even a danger that a worm will be written first,
    > then the next exploit added to it later. Thus, the worm may
    > appear on the first day the next vulnerability is announced,
    > even though the writer didn't have 0-day knowledge.

    Precisely. Soon we may no longer have the 2 week luxury.
    Timely patching may come to mean doing it within hours of
    announce (and in years to come, minutes).

    > I'm sure people have fully grasped the situation.

    Did you miss a "not"?

    > If anybody has a large dark subnet to play with, I'd love to
    > install by deredoc program mentioned above. It not only
    > plays with the current worms, it can be used to encourage
    > 0-day worms to reveal themselves.

    Simple and beautiful.