Re: Unsuspected "named" behaviour

From: dewt (dewtat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 15:31:04 PDT

    On Tuesday 07 August 2001 12:18 pm, Gustav wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > While doing some searching after an imaginary bug on my name-server, I
    > stumbled across something strange.
    > I found "named" listening on an undocumented high udp-port. I haven't heard
    > of this before, so I wondered if one of you geniouses could help me out. My
    > paranoid side is screaming trojan, but I haven't found any documentation on
    > the subject. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
    >
    > I'm running Bind 8.2.3 on a Linux box with kernel 2.2.16.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Gustav

    named will bind to a random udp port in addition to 53, you can lock this to
    a specific port by adding "query-source address * port 2048;" to your options
    in named.conf of course you could pick any port you want. it could still be a
    trojan, so i would set named to a fixed query source port and see if it binds
    to that one, if it does, no trojan, if it doesn't you've got one