W2K UDP Based DDoS Trojan

From: Daniel G. Epstein (depsteinat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 18:57:55 PDT

    Hey all,

    We're seeing a small number of Windows 2000/IIS5 machines launching a UDP
    based DDoS against several sites.  The machines all seem to be receiving
    brief instructions on UDP 1080 and then launching the attacks.  Inspection
    of the system reveals the file C:\WINNT\System32\leaf2k.exe and a registry
    entry,
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\BrowserSave:REG_SZ:C:\WINNT\System32\leaf2k.exe
    (or, in one case, "BrowserSave:REG_SZ:leaf2k").  Running netstat, killing
    the leaf2k.exe process, and rerunning netstat confirms that it is the one
    opening UDP 1080.  Further, killing the process also stops the DoS, so I'm
    pretty sure we have found the culprit.

    Neither our network flow logs, nor the IIS logs show an obvious compromise,
    and we don't have sufficient Eventlog information from the compromised
    machines to reliably check any other vectors of infection.  It seems as if
    the file creation times are on the morning of 2001.07.11.  Is anyone else
    seeing this sort of thing?  Any ideas?

    Cheers,

    Dan

    A boast of "I have been's,"   | Daniel G. Epstein
    quoted from foolscap tomes,   | Network Security Officer,
    is a shadow brushed away      | Network Security & Enterprise
    by an acorn from an oak tree, |  Network Systems Administration
    or a salmon in a pool.        | NSIT, The University of Chicago

    For PGP key see http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml