RE: Code Red, ARP and YOU!!

From: Chad Loder (cloderat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 14:05:58 PDT

    The ARPs are getting sent out directly from your
    router(s), which is why you see them coming from
    only those one or two IP addresses.

    It's a result of Code Red II (or III or whatever the hell
    they decided to call it) hitting lots of non-existent
    addresses on your subnet. Each time you try to hit
    a non-existent address, it causes the router to
    ARP out and say "Hey, anyone have this address?"

    I posted something about this to incidentsat_private
    over the weekend, so you might want to check the archives.
    I'd give you the exact URL but the securityfocus.com
    website seems to be down temporarily. The title of
    the email was

    "Code Red III - increased ARPing on shared segment broadband"

    Cheers,
             Chad Loder
             Rapid 7, Inc.
             http://www.rapid7.com