RE: DHCP, ARP, oh my Anyone know of an exploit that dupes ARP on wind ows 95?

From: Joseph Spears (Joseph.Spearsat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 15:39:46 PDT

    never seen it on a windows box before, but it would be trivial to do so on
    may unix hosts that allow MACs to be altered with ifconfig....

    For instance, in redhat, it would be a simple case of writing a perl or
    shell script that did (assuming DHCP is already configured for the machine
    in the first place)
    $mac = "00:00:00:00:00:00";
    $remainingAddys = true;

    while ($remainingAddys) {
      system ("ifconfig eth0 hw $mac");
      system ("ifdown eth0");
      system ("ifup eth0");
      $remainingAddys = createNewMac($mac);
    }

    You would have to write the routing that makes $mac get updated and return
    whether there are any more mac addresses....

    I don't know how you could prevent this though!!! I am sure that using
    etherpeek, you could find the machine rather quickly. (at least after if
    stomped you a couple of times). If the person is malicious, you would prove
    it is them. If the box is compromised, you would reinstall and smack the
    admin.