scans for root.exe

From: Kevin Holmquist (kevinhat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 21:14:09 PDT

    I'm noticing in my snort alerts an increasing number of 'WEB-MISC Attempt to
    execute cmd' alerts.  I looked at the packet data with ethereal and it
    appears that they are trying to execute d:\inetpub\scripts\root.exe,
    d:\progra~1\common~1\system\\MS ADC\root.exe, and ./cmd.exe.  These scans
    are not showing up in syslog or httpd
    access and error logs.

    The scan per hour rate has increased dramatically.  It is also interesting
    that all of the scans I have received have been from hosts with the same
    first octet (64) as my ip address.

    Is anyone else seeing this kind of traffic?

    PS I run apache so I can't capture any code.  I can provide logs and packet
    dumps if needed.