Re: scans for root.exe

From: Daniel Harrison (danielhat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 09:22:03 PDT

    On the 8th of August w1rep4ir posted a script to vuln-dev that scanned for
    root.exe.

    <Quote>
    I also sent this message to incidents so sorry if you get it twice like I will
    ;).
    After seeing many posts on this "root.exe" backdoor, and encountering
    it 3 times in the field I decided to write a script that scans from startip to
    endip looking for root.exe in msadc/ and scripts/. It's not blazing fast but it
    definitely gets the job done. Feel free to modify it as you see fit. Just email
    me your modifications so i can see how you improved it and keep my name on it.
    </Quote>

    This could be what you are seeing. Also the sadmin/unicode worm created the
    root.exe as well.

    -dan

    Jacek Lipkowski wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, David Pick wrote:
    >
    > > These are attempts to use the "backdoor" left behind by the third
    > > main variant of the CodeRed worm. What command are they trying to
    > > execute? (should be passed as parameters to the query) or are they
    > > just looking to see if it's there at all?
    >
    > don't assume root.exe is code red specific, i've seen cmd.exe copied to
    > the scripts directory named root.exe in one box that was probably hacked
    > using the double-unicode-decode bug (or whatever it's called). this was a
    > few months ago.
    >
    > root.exe just seems to be a popular name...
    >
    > jacek

    Daniel Harrison    Security Engineer    Loudcloud, Inc.
    408.744.7809
    "Past performance does not guarantee future results."