Re: annoying ftp probes

From: Mike Eheler (mehelerat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 05:22:10 PDT

    It wouldn't be tough to create something like that, anyways. I bet it's
    just part of some "war" IRC script, or something. Seems to create a
    directory with a yymmddhhmmss time stamp, then probably logs the
    successes. It doesn't seem to be a very adept script, either, as it only
    seems to try the home dir.

    I've seen the attempted probes even on my personal ftp server at home,
    of course I don't allow anonymous connections, but I opened it once when
    someone was connecting just to see what they wanted, and it was exactly
    this.

    Very interesting, indeed. There's no point blocking individual IP's or
    hostnames (since, with some dynamic services, like dialup, you'd be
    blocking some innocent users as well). I think the best remedy is just
    to not allow write access to anon, except in an "incoming" dir or whatever.

    Mike