RE: annoying ftp probes

From: NESTING, DAVID M (SBCSI) (dn3723at_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 12:50:57 PDT

    I get a ton of these pretty regularly, and it doesn't appear targeted at
    "me" specifically.  I have a number of systems logging to a central syslog
    daemon, and I will see FTP connection attempts on all of my systems
    virtually simultaneously.  This tells me they're scanning netblocks for open
    FTP servers (likely parallelized, but still reasonably sequential).  A
    decently configured IDS could detect this and block the offender from
    further accesses.

    I do occasionally have clients on IRC when this happens, but I am never able
    to correlate any scan with any user that's been on IRC at any time in the
    previous month.  They're probably just plugging in huge netblocks and
    letting it run overnight.

    Classic script kiddie tool.

    David