Re: smtp probes

From: Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooijat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 13:54:55 PDT

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Eduardo Cruz wrote:

    > Has anyone noticed an increase of smtp scans?
    > >From a few days ago im getting connections in port 25, and they dont look
    > for an open relay
    > they just connect and disconnect (like checking which smtp server is in
    > use), there is maybe a new un-official published exploit for sendmail o etc?

    At least valinux and sourceforge setup a connect and will do some
    verification before they accept email. It could be that this behaviour is
    getting copied on other systems as well. I usually get some probes from
    them after a message from me is accepted via a mailinglist from
    securityfocus.

    But it could be a more malicous probe. (Not that I happen to like their
    approach.)

    Hugo.

    --
    All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
        hvdkooijat_private		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/