Re: Flash Worms

From: Vern Paxson (vernat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 00:31:17 PDT

    > On large sites, sometimes with several accesses to the Internet, you're
    > probably right. But (correct me if I'm wrong) such large and complex sites
    > are not the most common case nowadays, are they ?

    I really don't know, and it would be highly interesting to have better
    insight into this.  Do the bulk of machines come from (a whole lot of) small,
    administratively homogeneous sites, for which it's reasonable to think that
    they should be able to get a handle on their site security policies?  Or from
    ISPs?  Or from large sites like .edu's?

    I suspect the scaling works against security whichever way it goes.  If it's
    large sites, it's the problem I've been arguing, that it's fairly intractable
    to actually get a handle on *and continue to maintain* some sort of coherent
    policy.  If it's small sites, even though in principle the administration is
    tractable, there will be enough of them that a significant fraction will
    not, for whatever reason, manage to have any sort of solid/coherent policy.

    		Vern