RE: Weird Incoming IP's and port numbers.

From: NESTING, DAVID M (SBCSI) (dn3723at_private)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 08:43:44 PDT

    I missed the part in the original message where you noted that these were
    connection attempts.  How are you determining that these are full connection
    attempts?  It seems odd that anybody would connect *to* incrementing
    high-numbered ports *from* a standard HTTP service port.  This behavior is
    more consistent with an *outbound* connection attempt (thus the increasing
    local port numbers) to a HTTP port.  I'm thinking something like this is
    what is occurring (from your point of view, assuming your IP is 10.0.0.1 and
    you are attempting to connect to 10.1.1.1 on the public Internet):

    you                     them     (   nat        )
    10.0.0.1  -> SYN     -> 10.1.1.1 (-> 192.168.1.8)
    10.0.0.1  <- SYN+ACK <- 192.168.1.8
       (bad packet from 192.168.1.8, dropped/logged/whatever)
       (timeout waiting on SYN+ACK from 10.1.1.1)

    When you should (and eventually do) see:

    you                     them     (   nat        )
    10.0.0.1  -> SYN     -> 10.1.1.1 (-> 192.168.1.9)
    10.0.0.1  <- SYN+ACK <- 10.1.1.1 (<- 192.168.1.9)
    10.0.0.1  -> ACK     -> 10.1.1.1 (-> 192.168.1.9)
       (Normal HTTP session proceeds)

    Note that I have seen this exact behavior, with these symptoms, in the past.
    I'm not saying *your* NAT is at fault; *their* NAT is.

    It's also possible that your system/firewall is seeing the inbound SYN+ACK
    and is treating it as the first part of a connection handshake, leading it
    (and you) to believe it's a legitimate inbound connection request, instead
    of just a goofed up reply to your own outbound connection.

    I might try capturing outbound port 80 traffic and see if you can correlate
    the two.

    David