Re: solaris lpd, KARMAPOLICE?

From: Ricky Vludmore (ricky2kat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 21:13:26 PDT

    >Considering that there's an exploit big enough to drive a truck through
    >for LPD on Solaris, you might want to check to see if the version that
    >you have is vulnerable.  LPD is really bad to run on the net and the
    >recent vulnerability could be your problem.

    No less than a dozen people replied personally
    to this post. It seems others have fallen
    victim to an identical exploit. Some asked if
    there were exploit remains left on the system.
    There don't appear to be.

    Sun Patch-ID# 109320-04 was suggested to me by
    a few people.

    One person said it may be an exploit for a
    different operating system, but this doesn't
    coincide with the idle processes I saw and
    confirmations by others that they were
    successfully attacked.

    The exploit remains a mystery. I did some
    searches on the securityfocus website for
    the exploit string (if that's what you'd
    call it) and saw nothing of interest, at
    least not on Bugtraq. Was one released
    elsewhere?

    >Hope you server was 1.) In a DMZ, 2.) Has tripwire and can tell you what
    >changed.  Otherwise, I would be _very_ wary.

    Yeah, the risk of an intrusion was acknowledged
    when we decided to expose it and surrounding
    systems to the Internet. Shame on us for not
    using tripwire though ;-( We'll reinstall from
    scratch with said patch applied.

    This email was sent through the free email service at http://www.anonymous.to/
    To report abuse, please visit our website and click "Contact Us."