Re: Code Red - A Possible Origin?

From: Michael J. Cannon (mcannonat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 13:24:02 PDT

    The FBI has a conflict-of-interest, even though they are in the stone age
    when it comes to computers and computer systems.

    See:  http://www.nipc.gov/

    also, see http://wbns.cbsnow.com/now/story/0,1597,290908-327,00.shtml

    'cyber-terrorism' and 'information warfare,' as well as 'Electronic Pearl
    Harbor' (I LOVE that one!) are red herrings contractors, government agencies
    and the military play the "Me Too!" game for more funding.  That comes from
    27 years active duty in the Navy.  Then, it was 'terrorism.'  Now, it's
    "cyberterrorism."  It's become just a money game.  I don't want my
    profession to be associated with such yellow journalistic tactics.

    Honestly, its becoming as bad as the Red Hunts of the '50s or the Y2K fraud.
    The bottom line is, in most cases, if you're hacked and you're functioning
    as the sysadmin, IT'S YOUR FAULT!!!  Sorry, I know that's cruel, but until
    we canonize that in people's minds, the ISVs and vendors will continue to
    duck responsibility with the EULAs and the integrators and consultants will
    continue to duck THEIR responsibilities, too.  "Electronic Pearl Harbor,"
    indeed.  Please!  Computers have been around for over 50 years.  Personal
    computers, more than 20.  The Internet has been, in one form or another,
    around for more than 10 years.  In the case of the REAL Pearl Harbor, bomber
    and torpedo-bomber technology had only been around for 5 years.

    It hasn't happened yet.  The thought that we, sitting in air-conditioned
    offices, with laptops or CRT screens in front of us are 'warriors' fighting
    the 'good fight' is just laughable.  We're geeks.  If you think of yourself
    as a warrior, the REAL warriors and soldiers will have a better term for
    you:  "Wannabe."

    After all, who is the last person you know who died because of a buffer
    overflow?

    If you want to play the wannabe game, if that makes you feel important and
    helps you do your job, fine.  Just don't tell me about it.  I've been to the
    REAL world, with REAL bullets and bombs.  I'll just laugh in your face.

    Michael J. Cannon
    Ubiquicomm
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum."