Re: Code Red - A Possible Origin?

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 13:50:45 PDT

    Michael,

    > The FBI has a conflict-of-interest,

    Can you elaborate on this?  How does the FBI have a
    conflict of interest, w/ regards to the context of
    this thread?

    > even though they are in the stone age
    > when it comes to computers and computer systems.

    How so?  Both NIPC and the Computer Crime Squad have
    some pretty bright guys and gals.

    > 'cyber-terrorism' and 'information warfare,' as well
    > as 'Electronic Pearl
    > Harbor' (I LOVE that one!) are red herrings
    > contractors, government agencies
    > and the military play the "Me Too!" game for more
    > funding.

    Please be clear when you make statements like this.
    First off, "Electronic Pearl Harbor" is a phrase first
    attributed to Winn Schwartau.  Second, it was Congress
    that held ineffectual hearings regarding security,
    throwing their own 'red herring'.  Third, how has the
    military adoption of "information warfare" generated
    an increase in funding, particularly at a time when
    all services (except the Marine Corps) are having
    difficulty bringing in enough new people to sustain
    their forces?

    > That comes from
    > 27 years active duty in the Navy.  Then, it was
    > 'terrorism.'  Now, it's
    > "cyberterrorism."  It's become just a money game.  I
    > don't want my
    > profession to be associated with such yellow
    > journalistic tactics.

    In all fairness to those who _are_ using those terms,
    perhaps there is a reason for it.  Not too long ago,
    the teachers in Oakland, CA, started a similar
    campaign.  They claimed that their kids spoke
    "ebonics".  As odd as it may sound, the reason for
    doing this was that all other channels for requesting
    necessary funding had been exhausted.

    Also, I sense that you're mixing targets here.  You
    say that you don't like what gov't agencies and the
    military are calling this activity, then you say that
    you don't want your "profession to be associated with
    such yellow journalistic tactics".  I've been out of
    the military for only a little while, but I can't
    believe that they've all turned into journalists.

    > The bottom line is, in most cases, if you're hacked
    > and you're functioning
    > as the sysadmin, IT'S YOUR FAULT!!!

    I somewhat agree with you on this.  Any sysadmin who
    hadn't disabled the ida/idq script mappings on IIS or
    hadn't installed the patch had best be very, very
    happy that Code Red wasn't nearly as destructive as it
    could have been.

    However, where I disagree is in the sense that
    managers are not making sysadmins responsible for
    security.  Most other jobs...sales, admin, HR,
    recruiting, etc...all have quantifiable metrics by
    which the employee can be judged.  Did the admin
    person process payroll and pay the office rent on time
    this month?  How many leads did the sales rep
    generate, and how much revenue have they brought in?
    Yet, when it comes to security, very few managers seem
    to assign the responsibilities and provide the
    necessary resources (ie, training, etc).

    > until
    > we canonize that in people's minds, the ISVs and
    > vendors will continue to
    > duck responsibility with the EULAs and the
    > integrators and consultants will
    > continue to duck THEIR responsibilities, too.

    Again, this "ducking" can be obviated or mitigated
    through the use of contracts.  Yes, I've been a
    consultant, and I've been releaved in some cases that
    the customer wasn't bright enough to pin the sales rep
    down on a couple of items.  Yet, in the long run, this
    only hurts the customer.  If you know what it is
    you're looking for, or can articulate your needs, then
    you can put the necessary language and stipulations in
    the contract.

    > It hasn't happened yet.  The thought that we,
    > sitting in air-conditioned
    > offices, with laptops or CRT screens in front of us
    > are 'warriors' fighting
    > the 'good fight' is just laughable.

    So you mean when I'm playing a Quake tourney, I'm NOT
    a warrior?  ;-)

    Seriously, I fully agree.  A lot of folks billing
    themselves as "cyber-warriors" are really slip-shod in
    their work.  Many of them are very technically adept,
    and can make a Linux kernel sit up, hop around on one
    leg, and bark.  But what good does that do for a
    client who doesn't have any Linux, and very little
    *nix...maybe an HP-UX system, or some Solaris?

    > After all, who is the last person you know who died
    > because of a buffer
    > overflow?

    I've seen the stuff from intelligence folks that says
    that real, legit terrorists aren't comfortable with
    the use of computer technology to meet their
    aims...yet.  Why break into a computer system to open
    the gates of a dam and flood an area, when it's easier
    to just blow it up?