Re: New Linux Trojan

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 14:26:01 PDT

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2001 13:57:12 -0700 Ben Ford
    <bfordat_private> wrote:

    > Qualys Inc wrote:
    >

    > >executable programs. On Linux systems, the Remote Shell Trojan
    > >typically begins its replication activities in the current working
    > >directory and in the /bin directory.
    > >
    > [ . . .]
    >
    > >Mitigating Factors:
    > >-------------------
    > >The replication process of the Remote Shell Program can only effect
    > >binary files within the access privileges of the user who launched
    > >the originally infected program.
    > >

    > I think that this point should be emphasized a bit more, unless you are
    > simply out for dramatization.  A properly configured machine won't have
    > the root user running untrusted binaries.

    True, however a local (non root) user compromise is still a serious
    matter.   This is another good reason to write protect *all*
    executables, and preferably have them owned by someone other that the
    user.

    Again Unix is protected because users can't write to most executable
    files.