Re: Code red variants?

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 14:28:06 PDT

    I now have an explaination for this, see appended message from NEXTRA
    who own the addresses where these packets come from.

    This still begs the question of the exact mechanism but I think we are
    on the right track.  Nextra are blocking code red connections at their
    transparent proxy but something is coming unstuck.

    >>From: Russell Fulton <r.fultonat_private>
    >>Sender: r.fultonat_private
    >>To: abuseat_private
    >>Subject: strange code red segments from 130.67/16
    >>Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:40:50 +1200 (NZST)
    >>
    >>Greetings,
    >>          I have observed a stream of ACK packets (with no SYN)
    coming
    >>from various addresses in 130.67.  All of these packets appear to
    >>contain nearly identical payload being part of (2nd packet ?) of the
    >>code red stream.
    >>
    >>I am wondering if you have something (a proxy ?) that is blocking the
    >>SYN and first packet (that contains the url) but is allowing the
    latter
    >>packets out?

    Yes, we do block outgoing code red attacks using transparent proxies.
    But I cannot explain why only the first packet is blocked. The proxies
    should of course operate on a session level and not on a packet
    level. At the momemt the only explanation I can think of is a failure
    of our redirecting equipment. I will have to look further into that. It
    does not sound good..

    Thanks for your report.

    Bjørn Mork
    Nextra