RE: Recent Increase in Port 139 Activity

From: John Campbell (jcampbellat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:34:10 PDT

    Our environment is mixed Windows and Unix - Linux and AIX.  I configure
    syslog on firewalls to give me the level of data I'm interested in - the
    more critical stuff.  I collect syslog from my firewalls on Windows boxes
    using WinSyslog by Adiscon Software (www.winsyslog.com.)  This is a fine
    product that is quite reasonably priced (about $50 per server in small
    quantities.)  Syslog on Linux would be equivalent in functionality, and of
    course, free.

    Thanks to CodeRed, all this syslog builds up at the rate of about 100 MB per
    log server per day!  I used Perl for the Win32 environment (Active State) to
    write my log crunching programs.  They go through all the log, extract the
    activity I'm most interested in, and summarize the rest.  I run these
    programs every day for certain firewalls and web servers.  They take awhile
    to run but otherwise are little trouble to manage.

    I'm a fairly experienced programmer but fairly new to perl, so my programs,
    though well documented, do not yet reflect very 'idiomatic' or even very
    efficient perl, so might not be too cool to some.  I would certainly be
    willing to share them, though, if anyone's interested.

    Wishing you success with logs and Linux - John Campbell