Re: New Linux Trojan

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 16:56:15 PDT

    Qualys Inc <researchat_private> wrote:

    <<snip>>
    > The backdoor process of Remote Shell Trojan also issues an HTTP GET
    > request to port 80 on the host 212.15.64.41 (orinoco.portland.co.uk).
    > This host does not appear to return any meaningful results upon
    > such a request.

    Is it just a simple GET requesting that sites homepage??

    I note that the page returned from that site includes this:

       <FORM ACTION="http://www.portland.co.uk/cgi-bin/formmail.pl"...

    and wondered if it may be one of the vulnerable formmails that can be
    used for arbitrary Emailing.  This would be a simple way to obfuscate
    (at the Trojan-compromised site's end) an Email-based "phone home"
    scheme...

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.