Re: strange codered2-like request

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 13:45:50 PDT

    buschermannat_private wrote:

    > on sunday our apache logs the thing below:
    >
    > 62.193.140.34 - - [09/Sep/2001:08:08:04 +0200]
    > "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ---cut---
    >
    > followed by a lot more 'X' and the typical encoded strings.
    > on 13:28 +0200 i get the exactly same 'request' again.
    >
    > 1. there is no GET-request for anything, so apache said '400' aka 'bad
    > request'
    > 2. less 'X' have been used than in an normal attempt. there were only 192
    > instead of 223, which i think
    > is the 'standard' amount.

    These types of corrupted CodeRed "samples" have already been
    discussed here and in other fora several times.  In short, many ISPs
    seem to be running "stealth" web proxies, wehreby they intercept
    outgoing HTTP requests from their clients and redirect them through a
    proxy (presumably to gain bandwidth effeciencies through associated
    caching?).  As proxies will (in fact, must) this causes the request
    to be altered by the insertion of extra parameters at the end of the
    HTTP GET request (so the proxy knows who to send the returned page
    to if it is not in the local cache.  In the simple case, a CodeRed
    GET request passing through such a proxy is simply "extended", with
    the extra parameters inserted after the "HTTP/1.0" string or after
    one of the parameters that CodeRed includes after that.  Such
    "samples" are fundamentally broken because the overflow offset is
    unaffected by the change to the GET parameters, but the code the
    overflow is supposed to jumpt to moves because of the insertion of
    the extra parameter(s).

    However, life is not always so perfect and it seems many of the
    proxies popularly used for these purposes have, themselves, buffer-
    length issues.  Some may not even be able to handle the full 3818
    byte length of the CodeRed request, but commonly what we see is 3818
    byte requests that have extra HTTP GET parameters (as described
    above) inserted but then the request is truncated *from the front*.
    Thus, you see something like you describe, with the actuall HTTP
    command and the first part of the overflow string removed.

    > the site seems to be a kind of search portal for parents and kids and looks
    > like under
    > construction. it's running IIS 5 on w2k according to netcraft.
    > i mailed the admin-c of the net and am awaiting an answer, but nevertheless
    > i thought the list
    > could shed some light on where this thing might come from.
    > a crippled worm?

    Nope.

    That machine is running a perfectly valid and functional copy of
    CodeRed.  At least some of the machines it will target (those its
    stealth proxy brokers requests for) will receive corrupted copies of
    that worm, which are, of course, non-viable.

    > a bored user?
    > spoofing?
    > ...?

    Nope -- the above is very common.  Probably about 10-15% of the
    traffic being captured by my port 80 honeypot is of precisely this
    nature.  However, if you are using simple IDS rules to detect CodeRed
    you probably are not capturing enough data to get the full picture.

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.